Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Chestnuts and Apricot Semi-MoonCakes

Chestnut and Apricot Mooncake (filling)
Mooncakes are a very elegant pastry traditionally served during the mid-Autumn festival in the Far East. They traditionally are made with egg yolks symbolising the moon and can have a variety of fillings and a variety of crusts.
However, as thought I would try a completely vegetarian mooncake with a partially rehydrated dried apricot instead of yolk, and chestnut puree for the filling instead of lotus paste - which honestly I couldn't find anyway.
Actually, this is only the filling for the mooncalkes, but there were a couple of issues with the skins recipe and then I realised it is OK to have the filling on its own as a dessert :)


Makes 15-16 mooncakes

15-16 partially rehydrated yellow-orange dried apricots
(To rehydrate the apricots - cover with warm water and soak for 1 hour, then dry the water)

454 gr - 1 can chestnut puree

4 tbsp groundnut oil

100 gr almond powder

70 gr golden caster sugar


Method:

Heat the oil in a pan, add the puree and the sugar and fry at low heat for some 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add the almond powder. Knead well. Shape it like a cylinder with width about 4 cm and height around 2 cm. Cut to 16 equal parts.
Take each part and shape it as a ball, the make a pit in the middle and place the apricot, push down and cover it with the chestnut and almond paste.
Place in mooncake moulds and voilà , it's ready.
Chestnut and Apricot Mooncake (filling)

4 comments:

Sarah, Maison Cupcake said...

These look really good, I love how they're moulded like Oreos! Great sounding flavour comb too.

Sneige said...

Thanks!
I am so disappointed the skin dough didn't work :(
Have to practise it harder! :)

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I must admit I really don't like mooncakes normally. Too greasy and with fillings I rarely care for...does that make me a bad Chinese girl? ;p But honest to god, this is the most delicious sounding mooncake-like treat I've ever encountered. LOVE chestnuts and apricots. Great idea and good luck on the skin in the future.

Sneige said...

Hey, thank you for the appreciation! :)
Actually I got the idea from a photo of a real mooncake - I didn't know the round yellow-orange thing in the middle was a yolk, so I thought it might have been an apricot :)
And as I have issues with undercooked eggs, especially yolks, so just developed the idea and ended up with the chestnut filling.

Pin It button on image hover