Friday, October 26, 2007

Healthy Lunch



My husband often reproaches me for not eating enough meat (it's him who says that), so I had to cook some myself a healthy lunch ith meat.
It is true that several time ago I hadn't eat meat (except fish) for almost two years, and that even now I prefer mainly chicken, I'm not a huge fan of fish after those two years :D
But I am still a huge fan of vegetables. Onions are one of my all time favourites. I invented this recipe for caramelised spicy onion recently and today had the opportunity to check it with shallots. I prefer them because of their integrity, you don't have to cut them to eat.
But I also recommend spicy caramelised sweet onions, cut in large pieces, which later can be used in sandwiches for example. Or eaten separately as a side dish :)
In fact I am not sure whether I have to say spicy here, because they were aromatically spicy and not hot. I should call them Aromatic Shallots perhaps.
So to make them you just have to start frying the previously peeled shallots in hot oil for 3-4 minutes under a lid, stir occasionally, add abundantly ground cumin, a little bit of salt, continue frying under the lid for more 5-6 minutes on lower heat, and now the secret ingredient! Several drops of rice vinegar. Leave under the lid for more 2-3 minutes, Before removing from heat add 1 tbsp of honey, stir carefully for several seconds and serve :)
The rest of the healthy lunch included marinated chicken steaks in soy sauce and fine herbs, and mushrooms with continental blue cheese and a little bit of sour cream.
And at the end - steamed vegetables with very very little butter.

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover