Saturday, February 27, 2010

#24 Parsley and quinoa soup

Parsley soup

I was browsing an old Bulgarian cookbook and found this very interesting soup. The author claimed it was very traditional but I hadn’t tried it before. My first thought was – this is not right, I need to fix this mistake! And I did :)
I also decided to give it a little twist -instead of vermicelli I used quinoa. If you don’t have it, you could use rice or even barley. It’s really good and will definitely boost your vitamin levels :)

Serves 4
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
½ tsp paprika
½ tbsp flour
1 bunch of parsley, roughly chopped
1.5 l chicken stock
3 tbsp quinoa
Salt
1 egg
2 tbsp yoghurt

Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions until soft (about 10 minutes).
Add the paprika, stir for 30 seconds. Add the flour and carefully pour in the stock making sure no lumps are formed.
Add the parsley and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
Add the quinoa and continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
Check the seasoning and add more water if the soup looks too thick.
Take off the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Beat the egg and the yoghurt and add slowly to the soup.
Reheat gently and serve.

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover