Wednesday, March 10, 2010

#35 Beetroot and potato dumplings soup with horseradish sauce

Beetroot and dumplings soup

I first tasted beetroot soup while visiting Krakow in Poland. Apparently, it is a very traditional Polish dish and every restaurant claimed to make it “As your granny used to” :)
My granny never made beetroot soup, so upon returning home I had to search the internet to find the recipe. The problem is, the soup I had over there was very light and the stock - bright and clear, which I could never achieve, using the recipes off the internet. So, I decided to use my imagination and produce my own version of the soup. I also allowed myself to cheat a little and used shop bought dumplings. I guess this means I still have something to work on ;)

To serve 2

For the soup:
350g beetroot, peeled
500 ml chicken stock
600 ml water
6 Polish potato dumplings, ready-made and frozen
1 sprig of fresh dill
salt

For the horseradish sauce:
1 tbsp horseradish cream
2 tbsp crème fresh
1 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped

In a medium pot, put the water to the boil and cook the potato dumplings. (Or cook according to packet instructions.) When ready, take them out and put on a clean plate.
In the meantime, juice the raw beetroot, using a juicer.
Mix the beetroot juice and the chicken stock in a deep pot. Add the sprig of dill and some salt, if needed. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Take the dill out and throw it away.
Mix all the ingredients for the horseradish sauce well and serve it in two small bowls.
To serve, put three dumplings in each serving dish and top with some soup. Serve the horseradish sauce on the side.

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover