Sunday, June 05, 2011

#13 Beetroot and Strained Yogurt Salad with Pomegranate molasses


The food we got used to as kids remains among the all time favourite foods, no matter how old we grow. What else would explain the British inclination for their sausages, which I think are not the best available example of sausages. This is of course a joke. I remember French people looking really disgusted after trying some traditional favourite Bulgarian (and Balkan in general) foods as boza and ayran.
The truth is, we cherish the favourite tastes from childhood and we'll always be attracted to them.

The region where I come from is a crossroad of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean tastes, customs and habits and that's why exploring these cuisines will always be attractive to me I guess.

dyptichSm

I've recently added to my bookshelf Claudia Roden's Arabesque book, which features recipes from Morocco, Turkey and Lebanon. I still haven't formed own opinion on it, but the book looks nice and has loads of recipes. On the other hand it does not have too many pictures so leaves room for the imagination and creativity in case you want to try yourself as a photographer :)

The recipe I adapted from the book is for a salad with beetroot and strained yogurt, and this combination worked so well, incredibly well! The sourness and richness of a Greek-style yogurt (10% fat) (although I use a Total 0% or 2%) complements perfectly the earthy taste of the beetroot. I was very pleasantly surprised with this combination, it was something I did not expect, as I am usually not a very big fan of beets.

Honestly, this salad works perfectly with equal amounts of dill and fresh mint as well as with lemon thyme only. I did both ways and it was fine every time.


This is the recipe:
(adapted from Claudia Roden's Arabesque)

250 gr cooked beetroot
250 gr strained Greek-style Yogurt (I use Total 2% or 0% fat)
3 cloves of garlic and a pinch of salt
(alternatively 1 tbsp fresh mint leaves and 1 tbsp fresh dill leaves)

olive oil
pomegranate molasses

1 bunch fresh lemon thyme

Method:

Mash the garlic with salt with a pestle and mortar. Adding salt will make the garlic to a puree form very easily. If you decide to add dill and mint, cut finely, put together with the garlic and mash until everything is smooth.
Place the yogurt in a plate. mix with the garlicky mix. Cut the cooked beets in rounds and place over the yogurt. Drizzle olive oil and pomegranate molasses. Garnish with the lemon thyme.

Serve and enjoy.


6 comments:

Anh said...

I love beetroot and yoghurt together. Never thought f adding pomegranate molasses. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Jessica's Dinner Party said...

I love beet salads and greek yogurt is one of my favorites. I know this is a combination I'll enjoy!

Peggy said...

I've never tried beets and yogurt together - but I can see how it totally works =) Going to give it a try soon!

Anonymous said...

I love the sound of it...Love Pomegranate molasses - this is a really yummy, healthy recipe - perfect lunch...Love your photography too..

Sneige said...

Thank you girls, I am really taken by these flavours, making this recipe four times in a week! :)

@Anh, I have tried beetroot with resh pomegranate seeds and it was good as well.

@Jessica - try to find a strained yogurt, but if not, plain will also do.

@Peggy - you're gonna love it!

@bakingdevills - isn't it great - both healthy and tasty? hehe :)

Lynda @ TasteFood said...

Your photography is lovely! This recipe has some of my favorite ingredients - I'll be sure to try it.

Pin It button on image hover