Sunday, November 25, 2012

#21 Roasted Aubergines and Pomegranate Salad

roasted aubergines pomegranate salad

I admit I first appreciated the looks of roasted aubergines with pomegranates when I got a glimpse of the cover of Yotam Ottolenghi's book Plenty some time ago. So gorgeous! And as aubergines are one of my most favourite vegetables and pomegranate's little gems are so elegantly looking on photos, not mentioning their refreshingly sour-sweet flavour, I had this combination on my mind for a while.

And the time to try it came this autumn as pomegranate and aubergines are in full season. 

There are various ways to prepare aubergines but nothing beats the full flavour of aubergines fried in oil!
However, to make it a little bit healthier with less fat and no frying, I found that the alternative of roasting works wonders (in terms of taste).

Adding some feta crumbles and plenty of fresh herbs as flat leaf parsley, dill and some mint make a nutritious and fabulous looking salad, side dish, or a vegetarian centre piece. Plus, it's easy and fuss free - minimum mess involved.

This is going to be my entry for the One Ingredient - November challenge, hosted by Laura from How to Cook  and Nazima from Franglais Kitchen.

roasted aubergines pomegranate salad

The recipe is adapted from the Divertimenti website's Cookbook.

Products:

(Serves 4) 

2 large aubergines
1 tsp freshly ground cumin
1/2 tsb ground coriander
salt
150 ml olive oil

150 g feta cheese - crumbled

1 pomegranate

1/2 cup flat leaf parsley - finely chopped
1/2 cup dill - finely chopped
1/4 mint leaves - chhopped

1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Method:

Divide the aubergines in two lengthwise - then each half to other four parts. Cut each part into cubes - around 3-4 cm tick. Like that:

roasting aubergines

 Do not remove the skin. Soak in water with 2 tbsp salt for 30 minutes to 1 hour. 
Rinse well and arrange in a roasting pan. Sprinkle ground coriander and cumin and pour over the olive oil. 
Mix with hands to ensure aubergines are well oiled. 
Roast at 160 - 170 degrees C for 40 minutes, turning several times, until aubergines are soft and ready.

Remove from the heat, arrange on a plate. Cover with some of the green herbs, sprinkle the feta crumbles, the rest of the green herbs and the balsamic vinegar.

Finish with the pomegranate seeds.
To remove the pomegranate seeds - cut the fruit in two halves and using a wooden spoon hit the outer side of the pomegranate until the seeds fall :) Fairly easy.

Then serve and enjoy!
roasted aubergines pomegranate salad

5 comments:

laura@howtocookgoodfood said...

I am so delighted you have entered into our challenge because I love the food you cook and eat. All the flavours I eat regularly such as aubergine, dill, mint, Feta and pomegranate too at this time of the year.
I always roast my aubergine but in the summer I like to char grill it on the BBq then dress it with olive oil & basil.
Your photos are wonderful and I do hope I get to meet you at Vanessa's gift swap this week.
Thanks very much for entering One Ingredient xx

Bety said...

Снежи,
Много оригинална и свежа салата към прекрасния вкус на патладжана!
Снимките ти са прекрасни!

Sneige said...

Thanks! I am pleased to have entered the challenge too!
BBQ-ed aubergines sound great and very healthy, especially compared to fried (but I can't resist them!).

Sneige said...

Благодаря, Бети, радвам се, че ти допадат!

Karen S Booth said...

Beautiful photos and beautiful recipe and I am a huge Ottolenghi fan, and had the honour of sitting next to him at a pop up meal recently! Great post, Karen

Pin It button on image hover